If you are earning a medical administration degree the difference between osteopathology and osteoporosis is as important to your future career as a chef knowing the difference between a tablespoon and a teaspoon. Even in clinical roles that involve little or no direct patient care knowing medical terminology is a big part of the job. Once you start to understand a few key things about the words, it will be easier to recall their definitions.
Nearly all medical terms come from Greek or Latin words. For example, angel, holistic and microscope all have Greek origins. Try thinking about how words you know match the meanings of new medical terms you learn. Most medical terms can be broken down into smaller parts. These parts are typically a combination of a root word the base of the word , a prefix the first few letters of a word and a suffix the ending of a word.
Understanding Medical Terminology | Virtual College
In addition to understanding more about the structure and origins of the word, there are some memorization tricks you can try. The medical lingo, like the words to your favorite song, will become familiar to you as you hear them over and over. However, just like your favorite song that you sing off-key along in your car, you can misunderstand the words sometimes.
- Peirce: A Guide for the Perplexed (Guides for the Perplexed).
- How to Understand Medical Terminology: 7 Steps (with Pictures)!
- COURTESY (DARK MATTERS! Book 1).
- Using medical terminology in your writing.
- Blackmailed by the Billionaire - The 3 Novella Collection.
- Keys to Learning Medical Terminology.
If there is no one to ask, be sure to set the document aside until the meaning is clarified and the correct information can be handled accordingly. Get tips on how to better manage your health practice. There was an error. Please try again.
- Learn Basic Medical Terminology - What you Need to Know to Succeed.
- Algorithms and Theory of Computation Handbook, Second Edition, Volume 2: Special Topics and Techniques (Chapman & Hall/CRC Applied Algorithms and Data Structures series).
- 8 thoughts on “5 Creative Ways to Quickly Learn Medical Terminology (And Remember It)”.
- THE CHARACTER OF A CHRISTIAN;
- How to Learn Medical Terminology and Remember it.
- How to Learn Medical Terminology and Remember it | Ross Campus News and Events;
Thank you, , for signing up. More in Healthcare Professionals. Below are some common medical prefixes to help you demystify medical terms. Was this page helpful?
Thanks for your feedback! Email Address Sign Up There was an error. What are your concerns? Examples include laryngitis inflammation of the larynx , bronchitis inflammation in the bronchial tubes , gastritis inflammation of the stomach lining , and many others.
Basic medical terminology – a guide to understanding key terms
We think so too! We mention these magical little cards in our earlier post about study tips , but they are just that helpful! Kids will probably enjoy that you are using the same tools they do in school and may even learn or thing or two! Do you know what your learning style is? There are a variety of learning style quizzes that you can find online, like this one. They may give you an idea of whether you are an visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learner. Here are some ideas for each one:.
Top 5 Medical Terminology Books for Medical And Nursing Students
You are likely a combination of a few of them. Combining these activities and strategies will deliver the best results. Remember all of those review games that you played in school? Your teachers spent times making those things because they work!
Search Our Site
When we have fun, we often forget that we are doing the hard work of learning, and a little friendly competition can do wonders for encouraging your brain to work harder to retrieve stored information. So, play a game of medical term bingo with friends or explore some online resources like this trivia game.
- The Everlasting God?
- The Trial of William Tinkling Written by Himself at the Age of 8 Years.
- Topics in Algebra;
- How to Learn and Memorize Medical Terminology?
- Reader Interactions?
- Keys to Learning Medical Terminology.
As you learn new words, create pictures in your mind that you can associate with the word. You can even make up rhymes, songs, stories, or abbreviations to remember things quickly and easily by grouping them together.