Two areas are examined in detail: the religious and the judicial. Docherty shows that despite the tendency to regard transparency as a general social and ethical good, our contemporary culture of transparency has engendered a society in which autonomy or the very authority of the subject that proclaims 'I confess' is grounded in guilt, reparation and victimhood.
In this, his latest foray into his chosen intellectual terrain, he deploys some of his key concepts? Everyone should read it.
- Decode ingredient lists by yourself: How to #decodethatIL too.
- Publications - Professor Thomas Docherty - University of Warwick?
- Ausweitung von Geschäftsfeldern am Beispiel eines Großhandelsbetriebes (German Edition)?
- Nothing Good Is Allowed to Stand: An Integrative View of the Negative Therapeutic Reaction (Psychoanalytic Inquiry Book Series).
- Captains of the Arizona Rangers 1901 - 1909!
- The Erotic Faculty.
Tele-technologies, kiss-n-tell biographies and massmediatic intrusiveness have rendered confession meaningless to such a great degree, that to read so finely attuned a 'confessional' as Thomas Docherty's stunning critical and philosophical inquiry is to be reminded of an ethical imperative that is as inescapable as it is misunderstood in so wilfully stupid a secular culture as the one we presently inhabit. In a study that begins with disarmingly straightforward questions concerning what it might mean 'to confess', and what the role of the subject is in this practise, Docherty opens out his exquisitely crafted meditation, with a breadth of scope that belies the filigree-work of its arguments, its explorations, and its always-political interrogations.
It is a literary, theoretical and autobiographical tour de force. Docherty's acute critical sense ranges across the philosophical and cultural landscape to read Paul de Man, Giorgio Agamben, Hannah Arendt and the Lisbon Lions. Drone Object Lessons.
High Heel Object Lessons. Literary Theory An Introduction. Discipline and Punish Vintage. How Fiction Works.
Confessions - Thomas Docherty - Innbundet () » Bokkilden
An Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory. Pill Object Lessons.
- A Work Conference and More - Erotic Short Story for Women!
- Confessions - Thomas Docherty - Innbundet () » Bokkilden.
- A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life.
- Confessions: The Philosophy of Transparency?
- Confessions: The Philosophy of Transparency by Thomas Docherty, Paperback | Barnes & Noble®?
Potato Object Lessons. Item Added: Confessions.
Confessions: The Philosophy of Transparency
View Wishlist. Our Awards Booktopia's Charities.
Are you sure you would like to remove these items from your wishlist? Remove From Wishlist Cancel.
- Been There, Didnt Do That... The Journey of Ovarian Cancer.
- Eine letzte Spur: Roman (German Edition);
- The Philosophy of Transparency!
- Match Made in Heaven (Cowboys of the Northwest)!
Om boka Confessions This book explores what is at stake in our confessional culture. Docherty outlines a philosophy of confession that has pertinence for a contemporary political culture based on the notion of 'transparency'.
In a postmodern 'transparent society', the self coincides with its self-representations. Such a position is central to the idea of authenticity and truth-telling in confessional writing: it is the basis of saying, truthfully, 'here I take my stand'. The question is: what other consequences might there be of an assumption of the primacy of transparency?